Monday, April 18, 2011

The Adventures Of Katie

Katie from customer services gives the lowdown on her 2 day Lyon training course!

(Katie with her certificate proudly on show)

Katie writes:

Having only climbed once or twice before I jumped at the chance to go to Plas Y Brenin in North Wales to get some practise in. The two day course was run by Lyon who were holding it in order to train retailers of their products, to better help them understand and assist with customers climbing needs. I arrived early on the first morning and we were introduced to the team as well as the sponsored climbers of Lyon. We were split into groups and were sent off on different activities to look at the different brands and products which Lyon are associated with. The first area we looked at was different rock shoes, specifically the fit and the benefits of each different style. It was interesting to see how large a range there is to try and fit everyone's needs. We then got the chance to try them out on the inside climbing wall. Here at Outdoorkit we have not yet branched into rock shoes however the fit is so personal and different between each type of shoe that it would be hard for an online retailer to go into this area.

After the climbing shoes we moved onto helmets. Mainly by looking at each one and what or who it is specifically designed for. It was also interesting to find out the different ratings and safety tests done on the helmets. In order to demonstrate the capabilities of the helmets they dropped a rock from a height onto the different helmets. This not only showed the force that can be applied but also the damage that is caused. It also proved that in some cases the helmet can look completely undamaged but in reality the damage has been done internally and you have to replace the helmet in order for you to be protected.

After lunch we got to test out the harnesses and helmets which we had been learning about in the morning. Firstly we went to do some Via Ferrata which is something I had never heard of! This is basically when there is a wire or rope fixed along a wall or mountain and you are clipped on to it via your harness. This type of climbing is something which is big around Europe especially for families as it is a way of making isolated places more accessible and doesn't present as many risks as other ways of climbing. The Via Ferrata wall was in a square room which we had to basically make our way around via the wire. The first wall was relatively easy and was a good way of getting used to moving one of your ropes onto the next section and then the other. These were attached to the harness in a Y shape and you had to ensure you always had one attached to the wire otherwise you had nothing connecting you to the wall. The second part of the wall was much harder and the trainer told us that we could miss it out if we wanted. I knew I would regret it if I did this so I decided to go for it. This section of the wall seemed extremely smooth for a climbing wall and did not have any foot or hand holds screwed onto it like the others. A second piece of rope had been attached to the wall so you could put your feet on it, although I was informed that this was a recent addition so I don't know how people managed it without it. The problem here was that this second rope dipped and so it was hard to reach the main wire because I am not the tallest of people, I was also getting extremely tired. The trainer then suggested I clip the carabiner on my harness onto the wire so that it gave my arms a bit of a rest and was easier for my to make my way along to the third wall. This was much easier and I was relieved to finally make it across. The last bit of the wall was to climb up one side of a platform, walk across the top and then down the other side to the floor. This seemed simple enough but on the way down my leg started to shake for some reason which made it harder to stable myself. I did manage to make my way down and was glad to finally be on firm ground. I was informed that my shaky leg was called 'sewing machine leg' in the business.

Once we had all completed the Via Ferrata wall we then headed off to 'the tower'. After my nerve racking Via Ferrata experience this only installed more fear in me. We set off through the wood to what can only be described as a wooden tower. Our group were sent up to the top it so I slowly made my way up. The activity was abseiling and the purpose was to try out and experience the different belay and descending devices. As the trainers were talking I was getting incredibly more nervous and the temptation to say 'thank you very much but I'm leaving' was increased when someone else in our group decided they would sit this one out. However I did it and really pleased I did too. The abseiling itself was not a big distance and we got to have a go numerous times trying out the different devices. It was interesting to see the extensive range of products that they had.

The next task on the tower was ascending, this looked relatively easy when the professional was doing it, however it turned out to be really hard work. In order to go up the tower you had to move the ascender up the rope which moved the foot loop up, lock it off and then push down with your foot in the foot loop to pull yourself up. In a long time I did not get very far, but it was fun to have a go.

After we had, had dinner we assembled to go out on a night walk. Everyone was given a Petzl head torch in order to see the differences between them when we were out in the dark. We were split into two groups and were given a rucksack of products and a map. I was given the responsibility of photographer and we set off down the road looking for items that has been placed along the way. It was really noticeable differences in the head torches when we were outside, from the really powerful ones compared to the ones more designed for walking the dog in the early morning. Halfway round we stopped to set up a camp and this incorporated using a range of products from the different brands. We had to start a fire to toast some bread, use a Jetboil cooker to boil some water and set up a hammock with a canvas covering it. It got slightly tense setting the hammock up, too many people and too many opinions on how best to do it but we finally managed to set everything up. We then had to quickly pack up and move on as we were running behind time and could hear the 'rival' group coming our way. After what seemed like ages we arrived back at base and unsurprisingly the other group had beaten us back. The last activity of the evening was a talk by one of the sponsored climbers who told us about the climbs he had been on, the planning and preparation that went into each one and whether he was successful in completing it. He had photos of the majority of the climbs he had done and it was amazing to see some of the places he had been.

The next day was more of a practical session as we went through the different head torches which we had used for the activity the previous night. There is such a large range so there should be one suitable for most needs.

Finally we looked at the different ropes and the differences in a single, half and double rope and the different purposes for them. Above all I realised that there is a lot more to climbing than rocking up and having a go but I can imagine that it so rewarding finally completing a climb, a bit like when I finished the Via Ferrata. It also highlighted that if you are inexperienced it is important you go with someone who knows what they are doing as it is easy to make mistakes.

To my shock we finished the course with a test, however it wasn't too bad and I managed a satisfactory mark. Overall I enjoyed my insight into the world of climbing and will hopefully get the opportunity to go again. I learnt a lot of information about the products as well as the different style of climbing and my certificate from Lyon for completing the course is hung proudly up by my desk!

No comments:

Post a Comment